Self-Inflicted Wounds: Sequester Impacts
WHAT THE SEQUESTER MEANS FOR AMERICANS
Isn't throwing a million more Americans out of work the last thing we need?
The sequester cuts would mean:
- 70,000 children kicked off Head Start and 1.2 million kids seeing their schools lose education funds, which mean fewer teachers, crowded classrooms, and less learning time. What if it's your child's school?
- Emergency responders lose their jobs, which means slower response times and weaker disaster preparedness. What if your neighborhood is the next one hit by a weather disaster?
- Layoffs of airport traffic controllers and transportation security workers. Do you want longer lines and more hassles at the airport?
- Layoffs at the Social Security Administration, which mean delays and hassles for seniors enrolling in Medicare or calling about their Social Security benefits. What if it's your parents?
- Up to 2,100 fewer food inspections. Do you want to worry about the safety of the food you put on your family's dinner table?
- Fewer FBI agents and law enforcement to protect our families from violent criminals. What if it's your family?
THE CHOICE WE FACE
Wouldn't you rather get rid of special interest tax loopholes for corporations and millionaires?
Instead of preventing sequester cuts, here's what Republicans in Congress are protecting:
- Special tax breaks that let millionaires and billionaires like Warren Buffett pay lower income taxes than their secretaries.
- Taxpayer-financed farm subsidies that get paid out to large corporate agribusinesses no matter the crop yield, business income, or business size.
- Special subsidies for the oil and gas industry that are reaping huge profits and getting billions from taxpayers every year.
- Tax loopholes that encourage big corporations to ship American jobs overseas.
- Outdated Pentagon pork that our military leaders don't want and don't need.
WHY THEY WANT THE SEQUESTER
Republicans in Congress are trying to lay off their own constituents just to hurt the President politically.
We develop messaging by aggregating, analyzing and distilling polling, tested messaging, and expert recommendations, and monitoring the media to identify what is and isn't working. See here for some of the experts and organizations we draw on.
Posted in - Budget - Taxes - Economy - Seniors - Education - Jobs