Repeat Bush But Don’t Remember Him
Mitt Romney wants the nation to repeat Bush's record rather than remember it.
Connect: There's a famous saying: those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Define: Mitt Romney doesn't want us to remember Bush's record because he wants us to repeat it.
Explain: He's hoping voters won't remember Bush -- so he can keep pushing the same failed trickle down policies that got us into this mess and attacking the President for not cleaning it up fast enough.
Illustrate: Romney's economic plan would actually lay off more teachers, firefighters, and cops and raise taxes on middle class Americans -- all so the richest few can pay less and get richer.
Discredit: Tax breaks for the wealthy and going easy on Wall Street led to the worst economic mess since the Great Depression. Been there, done that. Why repeat those failed policies?
Contrast: Let's keep moving forward to put Americans back to work and choose leaders fighting to make sure everyone gets a fair shot and pays their fair share.
ATTACKS AND RESPONSES
ROMNEY: "I will create 12 million jobs."
- Actually, the American people are set to create 12 million jobs in the next four years under Obama's policies -- without Romney doing anything.
- Even if you try to take Romney's plan at face value, it turns out that his jobs numbers don't add up -- he's citing studies that are unrelated to his claims and taking credit for Obama's policies.
- But if we do let Romney put his own plans in place, experts warn that we could be looking at massive layoffs of our teachers, firefighters, and cops -- and even another recession.
- So Romney's doubling down on trickle down, which led to the worst job growth since WWII but did make the richest few even richer. Let's remember that we tried it their way and it didn't work. Why repeat it?
- Actually, Romney let the truth slip by when he admitted he will cut taxes for "the top one percent."
- Let's also remember how Romney complained behind closed doors that half of America are irresponsible dependents who don't pay taxes and that his 10% federal tax rate is "fair" because that's how the economy trickles down jobs.
- No wonder his tax plan would make you pay more so the richest few can pay less. It's as if Romney thinks struggling people aren't struggling enough and our middle class isn't already bearing enough of the burden.
- It's basic arithmetic -- the numbers in Romney's tax plan only work if he raises taxes on the middle class. And that's just what independent study after study has shown.
- Actually, President Obama said "acts of terror" to describe the attack the day after it happened. Check the transcript -- it's right there. In fact, the President called it an act of terror long before Romney or his campaign did.
- On the other hand, what did Romney do? While the Administration was dealing with an international crisis and American lives being threatened, Romney put out a press release trying to score cheap political points.
- Let's also remember that Romney is surrounded by Bush advisors who pushed us into Iraq by getting the facts wrong and pressuring us to go to war in the first place.
- Brazenly lying about such a serious issue and politicizing the deaths of our diplomats are the acts of a politician who should not be elected -- not a Commander-in-Chief.
We develop messaging by aggregating, analyzing and distilling polling, tested messaging, and expert recommendations, and monitoring the media to identify what is and isn't working. See here for some of the experts and organizations we draw on.
Posted in - Taxes - Foreign Policy - Economy - National Security - 2012 Elections - Jobs