Romney-Ryan Cornered On Medicare
Privatize it, bankrupt it, any way you slice it, Romney-Ryan would end Medicare.
Reaffirm: Let’s be clear: Obamacare preserves every dime of Medicare benefits. Romney-Ryan does not.
Define: Whether they'll privatize it or bankrupt it, Romney-Ryan would end Medicare as we know it.
Explain: After attacking Obamacare for the same $700 billion savings in their own plan, Romney & Ryan are now claiming they'd put that $700 billion in waste and abuse back into Medicare -- making Medicare go broke in just four years.
Remind: That's on top of their plan to end Medicare by replacing it with a privatized voucher system that sticks seniors with just a coupon to hand over to the insurance companies.
Contrast: Obamacare reinvests that savings back in Medicare to expand benefits and extend Medicare's finances by nearly a decade.
Expose: Any way you look at it, Romney-Ryan would cut benefits and end Medicare as we know it.
ATTACKS AND RESPONSES
- Actually, Romney-Ryan would immediately take away benefits for seniors that Obamacare added to Medicare, like free preventive care and more help with prescription drug costs.
- In fact, if Romney-Ryan had been in place, seniors would already be paying hundreds more for Medicare.
- And Romney-Ryan would eventually make Medicare wither away as insurance companies pick off the healthiest seniors for profit and stick everyone else with higher costs.
- In a nutshell, Romney-Ryan ends Medicare as we know it.
MYTH: "The Romney-Ryan plan is bipartisan."
- Actually, the Democrat they're referring to, Sen. Wyden, has rejected the Romney-Ryan plan and voted against it in the Senate.
- As the Democratic senator said, "Bipartisanship requires that you not make up the facts," and "Governor Romney is talking nonsense."
- Putting that waste and abuse back into Medicare will only make Medicare go broke in just four years. Privatize it, bankrupt it, any way you slice it, Romney-Ryan would end Medicare.
- Here's what Romney and Ryan really want to use that money for: help pay for trillions of wasteful tax cuts for the already-rich and big corporations.
- It's just one piece of the Romney-Ryan plan for America: a massive redistribution of wealth from the middle class to the already-rich.
- Whether you call it top-down class warfare or Robin Hood in reverse, the Romney-Ryan plan would take from regular Americans to give more to the wealthiest few in our country.
We develop messaging by aggregating, analyzing and distilling polling, tested messaging, and expert recommendations, and monitoring the media to identify what is and isn't working. See here for some of the experts and organizations we draw on.
Posted in - Health Care - Seniors - 2012 Elections