Medicare Misdirection vs. Truth
We stop waste -- they cut benefits and end Medicare.
- Let's be clear: Obamacare preserves every dime of Medicare benefits. Romney-Ryan does not.
- The $700 billion in savings comes from stopping waste and abuse, like wasteful payments to insurance companies gaming the system. Obamacare puts the money back into Medicare to expand benefits.
- The Romney-Ryan plan has the exact same $700 billion in Medicare savings and they admit to it -- so they are doing exactly what they are criticizing.
- The difference is that where Obamacare protects benefits, Romney-Ryan cuts benefits. In fact, they want to cut $2 trillion from Medicare -- to pay for more tax giveaways to the already-rich.
- Even more dangerous is the Romney-Ryan plan to end Medicare's guaranteed care and replace it with a coupon-care voucher system.
- The bottom line: Romney-Ryan cuts benefits and ends Medicare as we know it.
ATTACKS AND RESPONSES
MYTH: "Current seniors won't be affected under the Romney-Ryan plan."
- Actually, Romney-Ryan would immediately take away the benefits that Obamacare added to Medicare, like free preventive care and more help with prescription drug costs.
- The Romney-Ryan plan would eventually make Medicare wither away as insurance companies pick off the healthiest seniors for profit and stick everyone else with higher costs.
- In fact, if Romney-Ryan had been in place, seniors would already be paying hundreds more for Medicare.
- In a nutshell, it's true -- Romney-Ryan ends Medicare as we know it.
MYTH: "The Romney-Ryan plan is bipartisan."
- Actually, the Democrat they're referring to, Sen. Wyden, has rejected the Romney-Ryan plan and voted against it in the Senate.
- As the Democratic senator said, "Bipartisanship requires that you not make up the facts," and "Governor Romney is talking nonsense."
CLAIM: "Romney-Ryan will put the $700 billion right back into Medicare."
- No. Actually, Romney-Ryan would use that money to help pay for trillions of wasteful tax cuts for the already-rich and big corporations.
- It's just one piece of the Romney-Ryan plan for America: a massive redistribution of wealth from the middle class to the already-rich.
- Whether you call it top-down class warfare or Robin Hood in reverse, the Romney-Ryan plan would take from regular Americans to give more to the wealthiest few in our country.
We develop messaging by aggregating, analyzing and distilling polling, tested messaging, and expert recommendations, and monitoring the media to identify what is and isn't working. See here for some of the experts and organizations we draw on.
Posted in - Health Care - Economy - Seniors - 2012 Elections