Test of Leadership on Limbaugh
"They want to bomb Iran, but they're afraid of Rush Limbaugh."
Connect: We need leaders with backbone who'll stand up for what's right.
Define: Mitt Romney failed a basic test of leadership by refusing to stand up to Rush Limbaugh for calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" and demanding she create sex videos for everybody to watch.
Discredit: As conservative columnist George Will said of the Republican candidates, "They want to bomb Iran, but they're afraid of Rush Limbaugh."
Connect to values: Romney is a husband and a father yet he refuses to stand up for our daughters. He's running to lead our country but he's too afraid to stand up to Rush Limbaugh.
Share: http://bit.ly/yB7u4a | |
ATTACKS AND RESPONSES
ROMNEY ON LIMBAUGH: "What he said isn't the language I would have used."
- If that's the most courageous response we could expect from the leader of the free world, we'd be in trouble.
- So what other words would Mitt Romney have used to go after Sandra Fluke?
- They want to bomb Iran, but they're afraid of Rush Limbaugh. If these politicians can't even stand up to Rush Limbaugh, how will they stand up to special interests in Washington?
COUNTERATTACK: "Bill Maher's just as bad so they should return his super PAC donation."
- Bill Maher shouldn't have said what he said and no leader should be afraid to say it.
- We demand for that super PAC to pledge to spend Maher's donation electing a candidate who'll fight for good health care, equal pay, and more opportunities for women and girls -- for an America where we want to raise our daughters.
- Are they seriously defending Limbaugh by criticizing someone else? Anyone with a mother, wife, daughter, or sister knows that what Limbaugh did crosses the line -- no matter your ideology or political party.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- At least 45 companies have announced so far that they will no longer advertise on Rush Limbaugh's show in the wake of his attacks on Sandra Fluke.
- And two radio stations have announced they will no longer broadcast Limbaugh's show.
- After putting Limbaugh on a pedestal for years, high-profile Republicans, conservatives and right-wing media figures are continuing to defend him.
- Rush Limbaugh hosts the top-rated radio show in America, with up to 20 million listeners. And he's been using his show to disrespect Americans for decades, including mothers and daughters, Americans of color, and the most vulnerable.
- According to a recent poll, Limbaugh's popularity among his core audience of Republicans has plummeted. Commentators and political strategists are also saying that he's hurting the Republican party.
- On Super Tuesday, Mitt Romney lost with Independents and voters younger than 30 years in ALL the states where exit/entrance polling data was available (GA, MA, OH, OK, TN, VA, and VT), except his home state of Massachusetts.
- In addition to his problem with regular voters, Romney's struggling with veterans -- voters who are especially interested in the "steadfast conviction and leadership" qualities of our Commander-in-Chief.
- And a recent poll shows President Obama leading Mitt Romney among women 55% to 37% and unmarried women 65% to 30%.
We develop messaging by aggregating, analyzing and distilling polling, tested messaging, and expert recommendations, and monitoring the media to identify what is and isn't working. See here for some of the experts and organizations we draw on.
Posted in - Right-Wing Rhetoric - 2012 Elections